Skip to content

Remember this? The long history of the Queen's Head in Burlington

Last call at the popular downtown pub is Sept. 16

The Queen's Head Pub is set to close next month, but the history of the imposing building at the corner of Brant and Elgin streets will live on.

Peter M. Zimmerman built the house  in 1860 and rented it to a man named Peter Evans to run as a first- class hotel, Zimmerman House. Peter was a descendent of the Zimmerman family that emigrated in 1794 from New Jersey. The family first settled in Beamsville but some came to Halton County by 1814.

An area of Appleby Line north of Dundas developed into the Village of Zimmerman, named for Henry P. Zimmerman. Henry represented the Canadian branch of the family at a special meeting in Pennsylvania in 1867 when the North American Zimmerman family became heirs to a $35-million German estate.

Peter Zimmerman was the son of Matthias, who settled at Wellington Square. Peter took over the family farm after his father died; Mathias, along with his sons, operated other enterprises besides farming, including selling bootleg liquor (for which they got caught from time to time) and also being involved in horse trading and getting the best of an unwary buyer.

The County Atlas of 1877 describes the Brant Street hotel: “The Zimmerman House, a fine, handsome three-storey brick veneered building, erected at a large cost by one Peter M. Zimmerman, a first class resting place for the weary traveller.” 

The top floor has dormer windows in its high-hipped roof and heavy brackets support the boxed cornice. At one time there were verandahs around two sides of the building.

As the Queen’s Hotel later in the 19th century, it was a stop for the electric cars of the radial line that ran from Hamilton to Burlington and Oakville.

By the late 1800s it was known as the Queen’s Hotel. Later on – by the 1950s (maybe earlier) it was known as the Sherwood Inn, and later became the Queen’s Head.

The Queen’s Head Pub has been run by Edward Catley for over 20 years, beginning in July 2003.

Sadly, due to non-renewal of the lease by the building owner, the Queen’s Head is closing.

The final day to visit this establishment and show your support is September 16, 2023.



Reader Feedback

Burlington Historical Society

About the Author: Burlington Historical Society

The Burlington Historical Society - Preserving Burlington's History for Today and Tomorrow
Read more

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks